"Thanks to a generation of massive amounts of standardized testing, our students conceive education primarily as a tool for determining a ranking. The Obama administration’s policy is even called Race to the Top. We have the most read columnist in the country telling us how important it is to raise “standards” so our students don’t fall behind.
For our students’ entire lives we have communicated that the reason to learn things is not to fulfill curiosities, but to see where you stack up relative to others. Grades are no longer a proxy for learning, but a lap time determining how well they’re doing at achieving a secure financial future. Under this system, a “B” is genuine cause for distress. A “C” is a disaster that points towards a ruined life.
At the same time, we have made it increasingly difficult to pay for a genuine education. The burden of loans threatens to strangle adult lives before they really begin. It is now impossible to work your way through college. Concerns over even paying for college are also at an all-time high. We communicate that a college degree is more important than ever and then make it more difficult to achieve.
Students look at the larger culture and see not a ladder of opportunity, but a treadmill of obligation. No wonder they’re distressed."
Shared Table Where People Can Work and Cats Can Wander
Via My Modern Met
I just pictured people trying to have dinner on this and just suddenly getting a cat head popping out of the top of the table.
REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
Okay but before you pick them up and handle them they can carry Typhus which causes typhoid fever which is something you never want to have so do not pick them up!
It’s best to not handle wild animals in general, because grabbing them will scare them and scared animals lash out.
However, there’s no reason to kill an animal because they’re SCARED, it’s much better to find a safe way to get them to safety.
This goes for lost possums, road-crossing turtles, misguided insects, and whatever else may find their way into a human’s territory.
If you find a lost animal, make sure to take note of their direction and if possible, if you find a way to safely move them—move them in the general direction they were going. This applies mostly to road-crossers, because a turtle has their reasons for wanting to cross a road, if you put them back on the side they started, they’ll just try again later.
(I’m no expert, but this is info from my dad who often spends a good chunk of the summer helping turtles, snakes, and whatnot cross roads safely. He made sure to always handle turtles, carefully, with thick gloves, because we have a lot of snappers around here that will take off a finger if you grab them were they could reach, gloves or not.)
It’s like I’m seeing double. Such an old picture. Still love it though.
The difference being that women are the oppressed, the unrepresented, the “minority” (even though there are more of us in the US). And White people are the majority; they hold the power, and are comprehensively represented. Therefore this is not an equal comparison.
- Straight Person: I cant relate to a gay character
- Society: Homophobe!!!
- Gay Person: I cant relate to a straight character.
- Society: WE NEED MORE QUEER REPRESENTATION!!
- Cis person: I cant relate to a trans character.
- Society: Transphobe!!
- Trans Person: I cant relate to cis people.
- Society: MORE TRANS REPRESENTATION!!
- White Person: I cant relate to black characters.
- Society: Racist!!
- Black Person: I cant relate to white characters.
- Society: MORE POC REPRESENTATION!!
- Man: I cant relate to female characters.
- Society: Sexist!!
- Woman: I cant relate to make characters.
- Society: MORE FEMALE REPRESENTATION!
- Me: I am not saying we don't need representation, we do, but if you are unable to relate to someone because of their race, gender, sexual orientation or gender identity, that make you prejudice. I am able to relate to straight white men, why can't you?
- What the author of this post fails to understand is that we DO NEED MORE REPRESENTATION of LGBT, POC and female characters since historically the conversation has been focused (and often times still is) on the life and struggles of white, cishet people. We NEED more representation of all different backgrounds and all walks of life.
"I need feminism because… I definitely deserve to get PAID as much as (or more than) anyone else."
- If you are a casual worker, you do not deserve to get paid as much as the store manager.
- If you are a high school teacher, you do not deserve to get paid as much as a university professor.
- If you are a nurse, you do not deserve to get paid as much as a doctor.
- If you are an apprentice chef, you do not deserve to get paid as much as the head chef.
- Just because you are a woman, doesn’t mean you deserve to get paid as much, or more than a man (and vice versa).
No one deserves anything, especially if the only factor contributing to that entitlement is your gender. You earn your pay. Simple as that. If you choose a lower income job, then you need to realise that you will earn a lower income than someone else who has chosen a higher income job.
How about an example to make this more clear:
CHILDREN GET PAID 2c FOR EVERY DOLLAR AN ADULT MAKES!
Now, is it reasonable to call that discrimination towards children? Should we stage protests and demand an intervention to ensure that parents are forced to pay their kids $11.45 for every hour that they stand at their shitty homemade lemonade stall? No, because in the situation involving the children/adults wage gap, it is so blatantly obvious that the statistic involved doesn’t disclose some really crucial information such as:
- How often do children work, compared to adults?
- How much time off do children take, compared to adults?
- How labour intensive is the work children do, compared to adults?
- Do the majority of children actively choose lower income jobs to accommodate their lifestyles, compared to adults?
- Do the majority of adults sacrifice a larger portion of their time and lifestyle to take these higher income jobs, compared to children?
So when we spew around this statistic about women earning 77c for every dollar a man makes… Why isn’t it is so blatantly obvious that the statistic involved doesn’t disclose some really crucial information such as:
- How often do women work, compared to men?
- How much time off do women take, compared to men?
- How labour intensive is the work women do, compared to men?
- Do the majority of women actively choose lower income jobs to accommodate their lifestyles, compared to the majority of men?
- Do the majority of men sacrifice a larger portion of their time and lifestyle to take these higher income jobs, compared to women?
Is this really so hard to comprehend, or are we going to blame the patriarchy again?
(PS. Most modern countries have some sort of legal watchdog that prevents and punishes discrimination in the workforce. In Australia we have what is called the Fair Work Ombudsman that gives out information and advice and informs you of your legal rights for those who find themselves in situations that involve discrimination. If you are being discriminated against in the workforce, including payment issues, these institutions will help you out. You don’t have an excuse not to ask.)
Time and time again I see posts like this. Here is YET ANOTHER PERSON trying to blow off the gender pay gap like it’s no big deal. Without considering that, looking at a man and a woman working the SAME job, with the SAME qualifications, and the SAME experience, the man typically will still make more than a woman.
Oh, and this still holds true when the man and woman examined take the same amount of vacation, work the same amount of hours, live in the same area, etc. Also, the “accommodating their lifestyle” comment is complete bullshit considering women still make less than men overtime even if they don’t have children or take barely any time off to have them. Thanks USA for being one of only 2 countries IN THE WHOLE WORLD to not have required minimum paid maternity leave.
WOMEN DO DESERVE TO GET PAID AS MUCH AS MEN. Why? Because equal pay is a basic human right. Two people should get paid the same to do the same job with the same qualifications and experience. Period.
OH LOOK IT’S ONE OF MY FAVORITE PHRASES!
"That" girl. "THAT" GIRL!
If this isn’t very overt victim blaming with the whole “No one else is responsible for your decisions” thing, then I don’t know what is…
Also, this ad assumes that women who accuse men of raping them do so because they regretted having sex with him. Bullshit.
I find the ban bossy campaign stupid. If you lose confidence being called something as trivial as bossy, you have no business being a leader.
Why are women shamed and called “bossy” for taking charge, whereas men are assumed to be “the boss”? This bullshit about women “losing confidence” due to insulting diction is complete bullshit. You don’t hear about men being called “bossy” do you?
How is pointing out cisphobia transphobic?
How is poing out heterophobia homophobic?
How is pointing out misandry misogynistic?
How is pointing out racism towards one race racist to another?
Because i think there is no real difference.
Wait a minute….
what is cisphobia-when cisgender is the “norm”?
what is heterophobia-when heterosexual is the “norm”
What is misandry-but a construct created by people to say that all feminists “whine about non-issues”-when men hold most major leadership and positions of power all over the world?
Really thought, what are cisphobia and heterophobia? I’ve never heard of that. I’m not too sure it exists. Please, tell me a legitimate story where a cis person had trouble deciding which bathroom to use. Please, tell me a legitimate account of a heterosexual couple whose marriage was denied because of the sex of the individuals getting married (assuming they are both cisgender).
A shout out to all transgender, pansexual, asexual, agender, gender queer and intersex etc people being ignored by the LGBT community. A shout out to all the raped men, transgender and intersex people being ignored by feminism. A shout out to all the thin, anorexic or underweight people who are being ignored by body positive movement. There’s someone who understands!